1. Can I apply for a gift voucher? How do I apply for a gift voucher?
The Good Holiday Spirit voucher is a Christmas present. You cannot apply for it yourself. The proceeds of the Good Holiday Spirit campaign are distributed as gift vouchers to families in need in Finland through the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare and the Finnish Red Cross.
The Finnish Red Cross branches and the local associations of the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare are assisted by partners such as social and immigration services, children’s health clinics, schools / school healthcare services and church social workers, who deliver the vouchers to families in need.
2. Who do the gift vouchers go to?
The Good Holiday Spirit gift vouchers are given to families residing in Finland with at least one child under the age of 18 who are experiencing financial difficulties due to unemployment, ill health, excessive debt, low income or some other crisis. There is a limited number of gift vouchers available, so unfortunately only some of those needing help will receive one.
3. When do families receive their vouchers?
The gift vouchers will be sent to the selected families in early December so that they reach their recipients in time for Christmas. The families are carefully selected well in advance in the autumn.
4. What can the gift voucher be used for?
The gift voucher is intended to cover grocery costs, including a small number of everyday supplies (e.g. baking parchment and nappies). The voucher cannot be used for tobacco products or alcohol.
5. Where can the voucher be used?
There will be three types of vouchers in 2023: Kesko, the S Group and Lidl will each have a plastic gift card. Vouchers for all supermarket chains are distributed evenly across Finland. The voucher and the accompanying letter will clearly indicate in which supermarket chain or shop the voucher is valid. The voucher can be used at any shop in that supermarket chain. The voucher does not have to be spent on a single shopping trip, but no change will be given.
6. How long is the voucher valid for?
The voucher is valid from 1–31 December 2023.
7. Can a family be given a voucher more than once?
A family may receive a voucher for a justified reason more than once, but not in the same year.
8. How do I donate to the campaign?
By donating on the website.
By donating directly to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign account: IBAN FI33 5780 4120 0801 60. Reference: 5429
By calling the campaign telephone line on 0600 16555 (EUR 10.01 + local network charge/mobile phone charge)
- To donate EUR 10 to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign, text HJM to 16499.
- To donate EUR 10 to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign, text HJM10 to 16499.
- To donate EUR 20 to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign, text HJM20 to 16499.
- To donate EUR 30 to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign, text HJM30 to 16499.
By MobilePay, our number is 66020.
9. Can a company donate to the campaign?
Companies can spread the Christmas spirit by donating to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign by bank transfer: IBAN FI33 5780 4120 0801 60 (BIC OKOYFIHH). Reference 5429. Companies can also donate online or by invoice, which is available on request.
10. How can a company communicate that it has donated to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign?
All companies that donate to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign will receive a publicity kit that they can use to tell others about their donation. We provide added visibility for companies that donate EUR 1,500 or more. Learn more about your advertising opportunities on our business donors’ website.
Further information: joulumieli(at)redcross.fi
11. Is there a minimum donation?
No – every donation, small or large, is important to us. All donations add to the proceeds of our campaign.
12. How much of the proceeds go to campaign costs?
The only expenses covered by the proceeds are the technical costs, bank charges and small amount for running the campaign. The organisers and the partners take care of all other running costs.
13. How do you know how much you will eventually raise and how many vouchers you can obtain?
The target for the fundraising is 1 540 000 EUR in 2023 and we will do our best to achieve it. However, if we do not meet the target and there are no funds left over from the previous year, the organisers will pay the difference.
14. If the fundraising target is exceeded, will more vouchers be given away after Christmas?
If the fundraising target is exceeded, the extra funds will be used to cover the costs of the 2023 vouchers.
Money collection permit
The Mannerheim League for Child Welfare money collection permit: RA/2020/1486/23/11/2020. Further information (in Finnish): mll.fi/rahankerayslupa/
The Finnish Red Cross money collection permit: RA/2020/1407/9/11/2020, valid in Finland except the Åland Islands. Ålands landskapsregering, permit no ÅLR 2022/8376/31.10.2022. Further information (in Finnish): punainenristi.fi/kerayslupa
Authorities issuing the money collecting permit: The National Police Board and Ålands Landskapsregering