1. Can I apply for the gift card? How can I apply for the gift card?
The Good Holiday Spirit gift card is a Christmas present. You cannot apply for it yourself. The proceeds of the Good Holiday Spirit campaign are distributed by the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare and the Finnish Red Cross as gift cards to families in need.
The families that receive the gift card are selected by municipal social and immigration services, schools and school healthcare providers, church social workers, the local offices of the Finnish Red Cross and local associations of the Mannerheim League for Child Welfare.
You cannot apply for a gift card or sign up as a recipient.
2. Who do the gift cards go to?
The Good Holiday Spirit gift cards are given to families resident in Finland with at least one child under the age of 18 who are experiencing financial difficulties due to unemployment, ill health, debt, low income or a crisis. There is a limited number of gift cards available, so unfortunately only some of those needing help will receive a gift card from the campaign. Families living in reception centres or receiving reception allowance are not eligible for the gift card.
3. When do families receive their gift cards?
The gift cards are sent out to the selected families in early December so that they reach their recipients in time for Christmas. The families are carefully selected well in advance in the autumn.
4. What can the gift card be used for?
The gift card is intended to cover grocery costs, including a small number of everyday supplies such as washing powder and nappies. The card cannot be used for tobacco products or alcohol.
In 2020, the campaign distributes two types of gift cards: one valid in the shops of both Kesko (K Group) and S Group, and one valid in Lidl. Most of the Good Holiday Spirit gift cards are for the S and K group food shops. Gift cards for Lidl are only available in some areas, although the card is valid in all Lidl supermarkets nationwide. The card and the accompanying letter will clearly indicate in which shops the gift card is valid.
The gift card must be spent in one go and no change will be given. When paying with the gift card, the customer should be prepared to prove their identity.
5. How long is the gift card valid for?
The gift card is valid from 7th to 31st December 2020.
6. Can I authorise another person to use my gift card?
If the recipient of the gift card is unable to use the gift card because of personal circumstances, they may authorise another person to use it on their behalf. This requires a written authorisation provided by the recipient to the person using the gift card. The letter of authorisation must include the recipient’s personal details (family name, first names, date of birth) The holder of the authorisation will be asked to prove their identity at the checkout.
7. Can I receive more than one gift card?
If a family meets the criteria, they may receive the Good Holiday Spirit gift card several times, but only once a year.
8. How do I donate?
- On our website.
- By bank transfer: IBAN FI33 5780 4120 0801 60. Payment reference: 5429.
- By calling 0600 16555 (€10.01 + local network charge/mobile phone charge)
- By SMS:
- To donate €10 to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign, text HJM to 16499.
- To donate €10 to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign, text HJM10 to 16499.
- To donate €20 to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign, text HJM20 to 16499.
- To donate €30 to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign, text HJM30 to 16499.
9. Can a company donate to the campaign?
Businesses and organisations are welcome to donate to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign by bank transfer: IBAN FI33 5780 4120 0801 60 (BIC OKOYFIHH). Mandatory payment reference 5429. Businesses and organisations can also donate online or by invoice, available on request.
10. Will my organisation get publicity for donating to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign?
All organisations donating to the Good Holiday Spirit campaign will receive a publicity kit that they can use to tell others about their donation. For organisations donating €1,500 or more, we provide added visibility. Learn more about your advertising opportunities on our business donors’ website.
Further information: hyvajoulumieli(at)mll.fi
11. Is there a minimum donation?
No – every donation is important to us, and every cent adds to the proceeds of our campaign.
12. How much of the proceeds go to administrative costs?
The only expenses covered by the proceeds are the technical costs and bank charges. Our partners take care of all other running costs, such as the printing and distribution costs of posters and the gift cards.
13. How do you know how much you will eventually raise and how many gift cards you can give out?
The target for the fundraising in 2020 is €1,050,000.00 and we are confident that we will achieve this. However, if we don’t meet the target or there are no funds left over from the previous year, the organisers will pay the difference.
14. If you exceed your fundraising target, will there be more gift cards given away after Christmas?
If we exceed our target, the extra funds will be used to cover the costs of the 2021 gift cards.
National Police Board of Finland permit no POL-2015-12549/5.2.2016, POL-2016-12293/7.9.2016 and POL-2019-25503/11.6.2019 and POL-2020-47179/11.8.2020. Collection period 5 February 2016–31 December 2020 in Finland excluding Åland. Ålands landskapsregering, permit no ÅLR 2019/7863/15.10.2019. The purpose of the collection is to assist families in need in Finland. Permit holder: Finnish Red Cross and Mannerheim League of Child Welfare.